The PlaneWave Instruments CDK20 is a 20 inch (0.51 m) f/6.8 Corrected Dall-Kirkham Astrograph telescope. The CDK20 has a dual carbon-fiber truss design, with 3 cooling fans ejecting air from the back of the telescope. The CDK20 covers a 52 mm field of view without any field curvature, off-axis coma, or astigmatism. The instrument weight is 140 lbs (64 kg) and comes standard with a back plate retaining ring ready to accept the focuser of your choice.
All CDK20 telescopes come with fused silica primary and secondary mirrors.
The L-Series combines versatility, simplicity and affordability by combining all the technology of our Observatory class telescopes into a compact stand-alone mount. In its Alt/Az configuration it is considerably more compact than its equatorial counterpart, allowing a larger telescope to fit in a smaller enclosure. The mass it takes to make a rigid alt/az mount is substantially less, leading to cost savings. Unlike German Equatorial mounts, there are no meridian flips to deal with, and no large protruding counterweights to create a dangerous hazard in a public observatory. Alt/Az is more intuitive to use and no polar alignment is needed. Besides, it is the way the pros do it!
Enjoy exceptional optical and tracking performance for astrophotography, or research, with the CDK500 package! Includes a CDK20 optical tube and L-500 mount.
- CDK20 optical tube:
- f/6.8 and 3454mm focal length
- No coma, no off-axis astigmatism, and no field curvature.
- Pinpoint stars across a 52mm image circle.
- Rock solid fused silica mirrors with low thermal expansion.
- Carbon fiber optical tube assembly for rigidity and fast cooling.
- Simple secondary mirror collimation thanks to the fixed primary mirror.
- L-500 direct drive mount:
- Zero periodic error, zero backlash, and minimal maintenance due to the lack of gears.
- Slew speeds up to 50 degrees/sec for satellite tracking and fast target acquisition.
- Sidereal tracking accuracy of < 0.30 arcseconds RMS over 5 minutes.
- High resolution optical encoders on both axes for precision feedback.
- Can be installed in either equatorial, or alt/az configuration.
- Includes PWI4 software (ASCOM compliant) for mount control.
PlaneWave CDK500 Observatory System
L-Series Mount Features:
- Direct-drive motors on each axis for smooth, fast, and virtually silent movement of the telescope
- Slew speeds up to 50 degrees per second
- High resolution encoders on each axis for precise positioning
- Zero backlash
- Zero periodic error
- PointXP mount modeling software
- Enclosed electronics
- Through the mount cabling