Modern Telescopes, India's largest telescope store, presenting SBIG Aluma CCD8300.
Our high performance Aluma® Series cameras offer capabilities and features not available in any other scientific-grade imaging camera. This lightweight (2.2 lbs) and compact (4.5″ x 4.5″ x 4″ with handles) camera includes two-stage cooling, USB 2.0 interface, ultra-reliable even-illumination shutter, and fast low-noise readout.
The Aluma series supports a wide range of accessories, including the 8-position FW8S-Aluma filter wheel with micron-level filter positioning, StarChaser SC-2 off-axis guide camera, and AO-8A Adaptive Optics accessory.
Aluma CCD is a new generation of research cameras tuned for even better performance. Over two years of collaboration with university researchers helped us bring you an enhanced new Aluma CCD series that represent the best value in a high-performance mid-sized 16-bit CCD detector. We have carefully refined the camera electronics for improved performance, minimum amp glow, and low noise
Aluma Features include:
- High-performance CCD imaging sensors
- Light weight, compact design
- Centered optical axis for optimum instrument balance
- Ultra reliable even-illumination (photometric) mechanical shutter
- USB 2.0 interface
- Full frame image buffering eliminates readout artifacts
- 2-Stage TE cooling with typical -50C from ambient
- Twin variable speed fans with SmartCoolingTM technology
- High accuracy temperature regulation
- Built-in RBI Pre-flash (full frame front-illuminated sensors only)
- External TTL trigger inputs and output
- Included 110V / 220V power supply and optional 12VDC operation
- User-rechargeable desiccant plug
- Built-in 1/4-20 tripod mount
- Support for high precision 8-position filter wheels
- Works with StarChaser SC-2 off-axis guide camera and AO-8A adaptive optics
- Bulletproof firmware update capability – virtually impossible to “brick”
All Aluma CCD models ship with MaxIm LT for Windows – a special version of MaxIm DL specific to our cameras. Aluma also supports third-party applications through ASCOM and native drivers.
Compact and Lightweight Design
Aluma cameras measure just 4.25″ x 4.25″ x 4.0″ with handles (3.5″ without handles) and weigh just 2.2 lbs (1 kg).
SBIG Aluma CCD8300
All Aluma cameras include our powerful new SmartCooling technology. The two-stage cooler, powerful fans, and advanced heat sink designed using thermal flow simulation combine to produce typical cooling delta from ambient of -50C. This is quite a feat considering the Aluma’s very compact and lightweight package.
SmartCooling automatically adjusts the fan speed to optimize cooler performance and power consumption. The camera’s firmware is constantly monitoring the sensor and heat sink temperatures, as well as controlling the cooler power. When full cooling power is needed – when ramping down or running near full power – the fans ramp up to their maximum speed, resulting in the strongest possible cooling. When less cooling power is needed the fans automatically slow to reduce noise levels and power consumption. SmartCooling also prevents any possibility of overheating by backing off power if the heat sink gets too hot – so you don’t need to worry if your camera is baking in a hot observatory during the day.
Advanced Software Included
All SBIG cameras come with our MaxIm LT software – a $249 value! MaxIm LT is a special version of our venerable MaxIm DL software that provides complete control of your camera, filter wheel, and autoguider, plus advanced image processing capabilities. If you wish you can upgrade to MaxIm DL Pro to get complete observatory integration and even more processing and analysis capabilities.
Each Aluma camera package includes:
- MaxIm LT software – please use this form to request your license
- Deluxe carrying case
- Universal power supply (110V / 220V, 50-60 Hz)
- 2″ Nosepiece adapter
- USB flash drive containing software, drivers, and documentation
- 15 foot (4.5 m) USB cable
- Tracking interface cable
17.96 mm x 13.52 mm
8.3 million pixels
Imaging / Pixel Array
3326 px x 2504 px
Full Well Capacity
Dark Current e-/p/s
0.15 e-/p/s typical
Filter Wheel Option
12 VDC, 5A max
Remote Guide Head
Adaptive Optics Option
Pixel Digitization Rate
Windows 7, 8, 10 x86/x64, MacOS 10.14 "Mojave" x86 binaries, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x64, Raspbian Buster armhf, Ubuntu MATE arm64
0.1 sec minimum
Read Noise (typ)
10 e- typical
36mm / 1.25"
Full Frame Download
~1 sec via USB, ~7 sec via WiFi
Horizontal 1, 2, 3, 4; Vertical 1-255